Auto accidents are expensive and time-consuming. It is hard to know when you need a lawyer to resolve your case and when you don't need one. Some people think that they don't need a lawyer after a minor accident, but it is wise to consult a lawyer to get his or her professional opinion. The lawyer will let you know the claims that are worth it if you opt to go forward.
Hiring a lawyer after a car accident means you have a professional to represent you and fight for your rights. The lawyer knows all the relevant laws and procedural rules that are likely to affect your case. You will get advice on the time limits that may bar you from filing a lawsuit against the at-fault driver. The lawyer will also let you know the available exemptions of the time limitations (statute of limitations).
Your lawyer will file the case on your behalf, increasing the chances of winning since lawyers know how to mitigate defenses raised by the other side. Some of the reasons why you need a lawyer after a car accident include:
1. The lawyer will handle the insurance company for you
Insurance companies are after making money. They have adjusters who are good at negotiating for insurance settlements. They will do everything they can to reduce the amount they pay and sometimes deny a valid claim.
Some adjusters are unethical and might trick you to making a comment that will affect your ability to get the compensation you deserve. Your car accident lawyer in Mesquite will negotiate with the insurance adjuster on your behalf and also:
• handle the details of your claim
• prepare a verbal or written statement that is crafted to your benefit
• fight to obtain the compensations you deserve
2. Prove negligence
To win the case, you will need to prove that the accident was caused by the other driver's negligence. You can only be able to demonstrate all the elements of negligence if you are a skilled lawyer.
3. Determine the value of your claim
Valuing an auto accident claim is not easy. Your lawyer will accurately value your injury claim that will help ensure that you get enough compensation to cover all the costs associated with the injury. To determine the value of your claim, the lawyer will consider:
• Repairs and replacement cost
• Lost future earnings due to the injury
• Wages lost if you have to take some time off work for treatment reasons
• The impact the injuries have on your life
• Medical costs associated with the injury
4. Gather evidence
Evidence is required to prove that the accident was as a result of the negligence of the other driver. A skilled Garland car accident lawyer knows the kind of evidence the court may ask for to support your injury claim. Auto accident evidence for injury claims includes:
• witness statements
• traffic camera surveillance
• reports by law enforcement officers
• medical records that show the extent of injuries that were caused by the accident
If you are unable to provide relevant evidence, you are likely to lose the case and go uncompensated.